Elizabeth Collins, Lyric Cook-Morrissey Update: Autopsy confirms bodies found are missing Iowa cousins
(CBS/AP) EVANSDALE, Iowa - An autopsy confirmed Monday that two bodies found last week in a wildlife area are those of missing Iowa cousins Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook-Morrissey, police say.
Police Chief Kent Smock said he received confirmation from the Iowa State Medical Examiner's Office that the bodies were the two cousins, who went missing on July 13. The full autopsy hasn't been released to police.
Elizabeth was 8-years-old and Lyric was 10-years-old when they went for a bike ride in the northeastern Iowa community of Evansdale and didn't return.
Hunters found their bodies last week in the Seven Bridges Wildlife Area in Bremer County, about 25 miles from where they were last seen. Authorities closed the park while they searched for evidence connected to the case but now have reopened the area.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case