Brandon Woodard Shooting: Gunman sought in murder of Calif. man on busy NYC street, NYPD says
(CBS/AP) NEW YORK - Police are now searching for the gunman who is suspected in the Monday slaying of a California man near Central Park.
The victim is identified as 31-year-old Brandon Woodard of Los Angeles. Police said he was fatally shot in the head in broad daylight around 2 p.m. ET.
Police spokesman Paul Browne said the gunman came up behind Woodard and fired what appeared to be a silver semi-automatic pistol, striking him once. The suspect then walked into a waiting Lincoln sedan and fled.
Woodward graduated from Loyola Marymount University in 2003 and attended Whittier Law School in California, according to his family.
Police said Woodward had prior arrests in Los Angeles but no further details were given.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- 10-year-old killed after gunmen shoot into Calif. home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty