Miami-Dade police display $300,000 in stolen power tools; whose are they?
Police said they recovered all the items - including saws, drills, hedgers, generators, you name it - from the Opa-Locka home of 61-year-old Rafael Sofia.
Detectives said Sophia has operated a booth at the Opa-Locka Flea Market for the last 10 years. Investigators said he would buy the construction equipment from thieves across Florida, then re-sell the equipment, CBS Miami reported.
Roilan Gomez owns a small landscaping business. He showed up at the police district hoping to find his stolen tools...and he did.
Gomez said his truck, trailer and all his tools - worth about $8500.00 - were stolen several weeks ago. He said he thought about getting out of the business but he had some help from friends and family.
"I started to work because between family and friends they started to loan me the equipment and necessary tools to help me do what I need to do. Imagine since November 3rd to this day I haven't been able to sleep. I think I'm going to sleep tonight," Gomez told CBS Miami.
Hundreds of tools including air compressors, drills, drill press, angle grinders, chain saws, hammer drills, nail guns, pole saws, precision lasers, and pressure washers were there for the re-taking both Saturday and Sunday.
Police only asked that anyone believing they'd find their stolen tools should bring receipts, police reports and anything else to serve as proof of ownership.
As for Rafael Sofia, he is facing 7 counts of dealing in stolen property. As the items' owners come forward, police said his list of charges will grow.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Ohio day care worker charged with drugging kids' snacks