Cal State graduate student fatally shot by campus police, report says
(CBS) - Authorities have identified the graduate student who was shot and killed by California State University, San Bernardino police on Saturday during a fight at an off-campus dorm, CBS Los Angeles reports.
Bartholomew Williams, 38, was killed at a student housing complex after getting into a physical confrontation with campus police, according to the San Bernardino Police Department.
Campus police went to the University Village dorm Saturday evening after receiving reports of a disturbance. Police said two officers got into a fight with Williams.
Williams allegedly fought with both, injuring one of them. The officers said they fired their weapons when they feared for their safety.
Williams was hit several times in the upper torso , CBS Los Angeles reports. Williams was declared dead at the scene.
One officer was hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries, according to San Bernardino police Lt. Paul Williams. The injured officer was not struck by gunfire and she was listed in stable condition.
At a press conference on Sunday, officials said campus police were attempting to take Williams in for psychological evaluation. They said campus police had two prior run-ins with Williams earlier Saturday.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Moxley's friend testifies in Skakel appeal trial
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call