Jack Culolias Update: Shoe found near lake belongs to missing Arizona State student, police say
(CBS) - Arizona police say Friday that a red shoe found near a Tempe lake contained the DNA of missing Arizona State University student Jack Culolias, CBS affiliate KPHO reports.
The Department of Public Safety Crime Lab confirmed Friday that Culolias' DNA was in the shoe found by his mother on Tuesday, police said. The 19-year-old was last seen leaving the Cadillac Ranch Tempe Marketplace at about 11 p.m. on Nov. 30, ASU police spokesman Jim Hardina said.
The search for Culolias in and around Tempe Town Lake was called off Friday afternoon, but the investigation into Culolias' disappearance will continue elsewhere, according to Michael Pooley of the Tempe Police Department.
Grace Culolias, Jake's mother, called ASU police Sunday Dec. 2 for a welfare check because she had not spoken to her son and was concerned. Jake Culolias' family told KPHO that he left his credit card and cell phone behind prior to his disappearance.
Hardina said the teen's mother was worried about possible hazing because Culolias was pledging to a fraternity. A statement from the Sigma Alpha Epsilon headquarters said Jack Culolias had been attending a chapter social event at Cadillac Ranch.
Culolias' friends said they have been conducting search parties every night and hanging posters to raise awareness.Jack Culolias is described as 6 feet tall and has brown eyes and brown hair. Anyone with information is requested to please call Tempe Police at 480-350-8311.
More on Crimesider
Dec. 7, 2012 - Jack Culolias Update: Police resume lake search for missing Arizona State University student
Dec. 5, 2012 - Arizona State University student Jack Culolias missing since Friday
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen