Ophadell Williams, bus driver in NY crash that killed 15, found not guilty of manslaughter
Ophadell Williams was found guilty on one count of aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. He was sentenced to 30 days in prison and ordered to pay a fee of $500.
During the trial, prosecutors said Williams was all but asleep at the wheel at the time of the March 12, 2011 crash.
Williams argued that he had been awake and alert, and said the crash was not the result of reckless behavior or extreme exhaustion. He said a tractor-trailer cut him off, causing him to swerve and hit a guardrail. But investigators could find no indication that had occurred.
His lawyer had said he was wracked with guilt over the crash - but not guilty of manslaughter.
"It happened as a motor vehicle accident, not as some crime," said Williams' lawyer, Patrick Bruno. "He tried to avoid tragedy, and tragedy occurred."
Florence Wong, who lost her father, 76-year-old Don Lee, told reporters that she still believes Williams is responsible for the lives lost in the accident.
"I do not agree with the jury, but I respect their decision because they did look at the evidence and they came out with a verdict," she said.
The crash happened on Interstate 95 at daybreak as Williams was ferrying a busload of gamblers back to Manhattan's Chinatown from the Mohegan Sun casino in Uncasville, Conn. The bus crashed just feet from a road sign that read: "Welcome to the Bronx."
The bus struck a guard rail, toppled over and hit a signpost that tore open the vehicle's top before it skidded to a stop.
The victims were mostly Chinese men and women over the age of 40 who were regulars at casinos. About half died. The others were injured.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Vegas police: Boy, 15, murdered over iPad
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Official: College student faked kidnapping due to bad grade