Elizabeth Collins, Lyric Cook-Morrissey Update: Hunters find bodies believed to be missing Iowa cousins
(AP) EVANSDALE, Iowa - Hunters found two bodies Wednesday believed to be those of young Iowa cousins who vanished five months Ago while riding their bikes, authorities said.
The families of 11-year-old Lyric Cook-Morrissey and 9-year-old Elizabeth Collins have been notified of the discovery, said Black Hawk County sheriff's Capt. Rick Abben said. Abben wouldn't say where the bodies were found.
Appearing to fight back tears as he broke the news in Evansdale, near where the girls disappeared in July, Abben said: "It's definitely not the outcome that we wanted, obviously."
"This is a difficult thing for us to go through. It's a difficult thing for the community," he added, recalling how officers had worked around the clock looking for the girls.
The girls' families have asked the media to respect their privacy, and they offered no immediate comment.
The girls disappeared the afternoon of July 13 while riding bikes in Evansdale, about 110 miles northeast of Des Moines, near a popular recreational lake in the middle of town.
Investigators found their bikes and a pink purse near the lake hours later, but no sign of the girls.
Hundreds of volunteers canvassed the area in the following days, traipsing through cornfields and wooded areas. The mayor even flew above in his private plane looking for them.
Abben said the bodies were found around 12:45 p.m. Wednesday and are being sent to the state medical examiner's office to confirm their identities. He said the area where they were found is still being searched, and that additional details would be released at a news briefing Thursday.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case