Accused child molester throws money to kids at mall
(Video provided to CBS DFW)
(CBS) PLANO, Texas - A Plano man accused of child molestation and free on bond, D.J. Douglas, has posted video online that shows him and a friend dropping wads of cash down to a group of kids at an area mall, CBS DFW reports.
The station says Douglas was arrested last month on charges of molesting a 13-year-old boy and for indecent exposure involving a 17-year-old boy.
The video, posted to YouTube last week, shows Douglas and a friend - identified as "Chris" - shows children flocking to pick up dollar bills thrown by the two men.
Both Douglas and his friend - more fully identified as Chris Reaves by CBS DFW - have organizations that work with troubled kids, Teens Inspiring Youth and Changing Teens Lives.
Until recently, Douglas ran a foundation to help troubled kids in Collin County.
Interviewed at his West Plano home by the station on Tuesday, Douglas called the YouTube video "harmless." He said, "Well, I don't know kind of how that pertains to our case or our situation. That was just kind of Chris throwing money out to some people."
Reaves posted his non-profit's new certificate of ownership on his Facebook page, along with an invite to: "party at my (expletive) crib hmu if you wanna come beer pong...weed...goodtimes."
Reaves told CBS DFW the post was meant to attract teenagers and then counsel them against drug and alcohol use.
As for the money offered at the mall, the men insist it was to help kids pay for photos with Santa.
Douglas says his appearance at the mall did not violate any conditions of his bail. He says he didn't have any further contact with the kids in the video.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released