Subway "Push Death" Update: Suspect Naeem Davis arrested for murder in NYC train fatality
(CBS/AP) NEW YORK - New York City police have arrested the man they say confessed to pushing another man onto the subway tracks and to his death.
Naeem Davis, 30, was arrested Wednesday and charged with depraved indifference murder and attempted murder, CBS New York reported.
The station reports that police say Davis implicated himself in the death of Ki-Suk Han, 58. Han was hit by a southbound "Q" train at the 49th Street station Monday after getting into an altercation with a man on the subway platform, police said.
David was taken in for questioning on Tuesday.
A photograph of Han standing on the tracks just moments before his death was snapped by a freelance photographer and was seen on media outlets Tuesday, provoking widespread controversy.
In cell phone video released by police, a man could be seen arguing with the victim, telling him "Take your [expletive] over there, stand on line, wait for the R train."
"We have a witness that says there was a shoving or a push, depends on how you characterize it," NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
After falling onto the tracks, Han tried to scramble back onto the platform but was crushed by the oncoming train, police said.
Davis was reportedly known by some in the area as someone who assisted sidewalk vendors. Others described him as a panhandler who seemed mentally disturbed and was seen talking to himself.
Han was a citizen of Korea living in Elmhurst, Queens, with his wife and daughter. Police said he had come to Midtown to renew his passport.
More on Crimesider
Dec. 4, 2012: NYC Subway Death Update: Suspect Naeem Davis questioned by police in alleged "fatal push"
Dec. 4, 2012 - New York man allegedly pushed off subway platform, killed by train
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts