Trial of Renato Seabra, male model accused of murdering and castrating lover, goes to NYC jury
Seabra pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to a charge of second degree murder, and his trial reached closing arguments at Manhattan criminal court Wednesday, Reuters reports.
One of Seabra's lawyers re-enacted the attack in the courtroom, using the smashed computer monitor and wine bottle Seabra used to beat Castro, and then pointed the corkscrew used to sever the man's testicles at the jury, according to Reuters.
"You do not need an expert to tell you this is psychotic behavior," David Touger reportedly told the jury.
Touger told the jury that Seabra, who he said had been diagnosed by more than 20 doctors as bipolar, should not be held responsible for Castro's death because he did not know what he was doing was wrong. Reuters reports that Touger said his client thought he was killing a "'demon' of homosexuality" in Castro.
Maxine Rosenthal, the lead prosecutor on the case, painted a different picture for jurors, saying that Seabra was "playing the role of the loving boyfriend" to take advanage of Castro's wealth, Reuters reports. Castro was a Portuguese celebrity television journalist.
According to Reuters, Seabra has not been in court for over a week, but his attorneys have not said why.
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home