Saanvi Venna Murder: Suspect in Phila. grandmother, baby slayings had casino losses
(CBS/AP) BRIDGEPORT, Pa. - Raghunandan Yandamuri, a neighbor charged with killing a 10-month-old girl and her grandmother during a botched kidnapping, told police he had lost $15,000 gambling at casinos the week before.
A videotaped police statement given by the 26-year-old suspect last month was played at his preliminary hearing near Philadelphia on Wednesday.
In the video, Yandamuri tells police he had a good job and good life but planned the kidnapping to get money from the baby's parents, both software engineers.
"They both are working, so I thought maybe they have some money," Yandamuri told police.
Yandamuri says he never meant to hurt anyone and panicked on October 22 after the grandmother was killed in a struggle involving the knife he had brought.
He says he accidentally dropped the baby, put a handkerchief over her mouth to quiet her, and left her in a trash-strewn, unused sauna in their apartment complex.
When asked by police if he had a gambling problem, Yandamuri replied "a bit."
"Last week I lost $15,000 to $20,000, but last month I won $20,000," he said on the videotape.
He said he had cleared most of his debts through a March bankruptcy filing in California.
Those records show that Yandamuri had amassed $26,000 in credit card debts since 2008, most of it on six accounts he opened in 2011. He was making $6,500 a month at the time, and netting $4,500 after taxes and deductions, he said. He reported sending $600 a month to his parents in India.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Report: Fla. man stops to steal beer during police chase