Mallory Owens, Ala. woman, denies being beaten because she's gay
(CBS/AP) MOBILE, Ala. - Mallory Owens, a gay woman who was attacked and beaten, tells WKRG-TV the assault on Thanksgiving night was not a hate crime, despite some claims that it was, including by her own mother.
Owens' mother, Kristi Taylor, had pressed for more charges in the attack, saying it occurred because of her daughter's sexual orientation. A civil rights group on Tuesday urged a federal review of the case.
Authorities say 18-year-old Travis Hawkins Jr. has been charged with second-degree assault for the incident at Hawkins' home in Mobile. Hawkins is the brother of a woman Owens is dating.
Owens was hospitalized with skull fractures, a broken jaw and severe swelling. Surgeons had to install metal plates in her cheek bones, CBS affiliate WHNT reports.
.According to WKRG-TV, family and supporters of Owens are pushing for Hawkins to be charged with attempted murder. However, friends of Hawkins also say it is not a hate crime, and that Hawkins and Owens just never got along.
Owens' family says Hawkins attacked Owens earlier this year with a pipe wrench, but they did not press charges in that incident, reports WHNT.
Hawkins is scheduled to be arraigned for the Thanksgiving incident on Dec. 10.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Hofstra Univ. student, suspect killed in home invasion
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Wife guilty of murder for pushing husband out window
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor