Fla. teen kills father to protect mom, police say
(CBS/WTSP) ANTIOCH, Fla. - Police say a teenager fatally shot his father in an attempt to defend his mother around 10p.m. Saturday, reports CBS affiliate WTSP.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office says police received a call about a shooting at a mobile home on Burnt Barn Avenue in Plant City, Fla. When deputies arrived, they found 36-year-old Christopher Thorpe dead in the master bedroom, WTSP reports.
Investigators say the shooting appears to be the result of a fight between Christopher and his wife, Jill.
A verbal argument reportedly turned physical as deputies say Thorpe began beating his wife in the master bedroom. As Thorpe strangled her, their 17-year old son rushed in, armed with a handgun. He allegedly fired several shots, hitting Thorpe.
The mother was also shot in the thigh and is being treated at a nearby hospital, according to WTSP.
Police have not arrested the teen and he remains in the custody of his mother.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- 10-year-old killed after gunmen shoot into Calif. home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Authorities search for missing URI student