Driver's ed teacher charged in BB gun shooting spree
Police say they caught up with Dennis Maylin at his home in Gardner, and found a loaded CO2 BB pistol and BB projectiles in his car, CBS Boston reported.
On Wednesday, after a window was shot out at the Auto Zone in the central Massachusetts town, police immediately headed over to Maylin's house. Arriving officers say they spotted Maylin, 52, who is co-owner of a Fitchburg Driver Education School, pulling his training car into his driveway.
Seeing police, Maylin allegedly jumped out of his car while it was still in motion, and tried to escape. He was quickly captured, according to CBS Boston.
Maylin was among a handful of suspects in the case, and officers had him under surveillance. In the past four months, more than 30 commercial plate glass windows and doors in Gardner were shot out with a BB gun.
Two windows of passing cars were also shot out. One of those cars had a child seated inside. A second involved a driver who had his window blown out on Route 2 on Nov. 18. That driver was hit in the face by a projectile.
Gardner police are working with several other nearby towns to see if there's a connection to BB incidents there.
Maylin is charged with malicious destruction of property over $250 and failing to stop on the signal of a police officer. Detectives expect he'll face additional charges.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death