Frontline flea medication apparent target of animal clinic thieves
(CBS) FAIRFIELD, Calif. - Nearly a dozen medical and veterinary clinics have been targeted by burglars in Fairfield, in northern California, in recent months - and one of the hot commodities appears to be Frontline flea medication, CBS Sacramento reports.
Area veteranarians believe there's a black market.
"They took a trash can that we have and they just dumped all of the Frontline into the trash can," said Dr. Julie Cole, with the Fairfield Animal Hostpial.
The thieves stole about $2,000 worth in the latest incident. It retails for around $40 to $50 a box.
"So they can come in here and by taking this, they can sell it without a prescription on eBay or wherever they want to sell it and it's cash for them, it's Christmas money," Cole told CBS Sacramento.
The thieves have also hit Barney and Russum Animal Clinic and got away with a computer.
Since July, Fairfield police say thieves have hit 10 medical and veterinary clinics. They're looking into whether the cases are connected.
CBS Sacramento reports no pets were stolen or hurt during the break-ins. Dr. Cole says she's now locking up most of the Frontline and keeping it out of sight.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot