3 dead, 1 hurt in shooting in Kansas City suburb
No motive has been established for the shooting at the small home in Independence, Mo., but it was not a random act, police Capt. John Cato said.
"This was an armed attempted residential robbery," Cato said. "They probably knew or at least were associated with one another."
Cato identified the dead as 48-year-old Maria Hernandez; her boyfriend, Thomas Madrigal; and Hernandez's 20-year-old son, Antonio. The wounded individual was not identified.
Police are searching for the suspects, and at least two of them could be armed, Cato said.
Charlene Myers, 29, who lives a few houses away, said she didn't hear any gunshots and described the neighborhood as very safe and quiet. Myers mother lives across the street.
"When my mom called me and told me people got shot there, I was like 'What?'" Myers said.
She said the family that was attacked had moved in within the past year.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case