Chamique Holdsclaw, ex-WNBA star, arrested for aggravated assault
(CBS/AP) ATLANTA - Former WNBA star Chamique Holdsclaw was in jail Thursday night after she allegedly shot into her ex-girlfriend's car after using a bat to break its windows.
Atlanta police said the Olympic gold medalist followed 29-year-old Jennifer Lacy to her car on Tuesday. Lacy plays for the Tulsa Shock.
No one was injured. Lacy identified Holdsclaw, 35, as an ex-girlfriend. They were teammates with the Atlanta Dream in 2009.
"I want to thank my family, friends, fans and Shock family for their concern during this difficult time," Lacy said. "I have never felt more love from my fans in supporting me."
Holdsclaw was in custody Thursday night in Fulton County Jail. Her bond was set at $10,000 on one charge each of aggravated assault, second-degree criminal damage and reckless conduct.
One of the biggest stars in women's college basketball history during her career at Tennessee, Holdsclaw returned to her alma mater in September to discuss her fight with clinical depression, which included a suicide attempt during her pro career.
Holdsclaw said she attempted suicide in 2006 as a member of the Los Angeles Sparks by overdosing on the medication she was taking for clinical depression. She also wouldn't leave her Washington home for a few days in 2004, two years after the death of the grandmother who raised her.
She discussed these situations in a book, "Breaking Through: Beating The Odds Shot After Shot," that came out earlier this year.
Holdsclaw led Tennessee to three consecutive national championships from 1996-98 before beginning a pro career that included six WNBA All-Star selections. She also played on the U.S. Olympic team that won the gold medal in the 2000 Games. She had 3,025 career points at Tennessee and remains the Southeastern Conference's career scoring leader.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Vegas police: Boy, 15, murdered over iPad
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death