Chamique Holdsclaw, ex-WNBA star, arrested for aggravated assault
(CBS/AP) ATLANTA - Former WNBA star Chamique Holdsclaw was in jail Thursday night after she allegedly shot into her ex-girlfriend's car after using a bat to break its windows.
Atlanta police said the Olympic gold medalist followed 29-year-old Jennifer Lacy to her car on Tuesday. Lacy plays for the Tulsa Shock.
No one was injured. Lacy identified Holdsclaw, 35, as an ex-girlfriend. They were teammates with the Atlanta Dream in 2009.
"I want to thank my family, friends, fans and Shock family for their concern during this difficult time," Lacy said. "I have never felt more love from my fans in supporting me."
Holdsclaw was in custody Thursday night in Fulton County Jail. Her bond was set at $10,000 on one charge each of aggravated assault, second-degree criminal damage and reckless conduct.
One of the biggest stars in women's college basketball history during her career at Tennessee, Holdsclaw returned to her alma mater in September to discuss her fight with clinical depression, which included a suicide attempt during her pro career.
Holdsclaw said she attempted suicide in 2006 as a member of the Los Angeles Sparks by overdosing on the medication she was taking for clinical depression. She also wouldn't leave her Washington home for a few days in 2004, two years after the death of the grandmother who raised her.
She discussed these situations in a book, "Breaking Through: Beating The Odds Shot After Shot," that came out earlier this year.
Holdsclaw led Tennessee to three consecutive national championships from 1996-98 before beginning a pro career that included six WNBA All-Star selections. She also played on the U.S. Olympic team that won the gold medal in the 2000 Games. She had 3,025 career points at Tennessee and remains the Southeastern Conference's career scoring leader.
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home