LA Kidnapping Update: Cops release sketch of potential kidnapping victim, suspect
(CBS/AP) LOS ANGELES - Police have released a sketches of a teenage girl witnesses say was dragged by the hair up a hill east of downtown Los Angeles and of her suspected attacker.
Searchers on foot and horseback combed 455 acres of the El Sereno hills Tuesday while others flew overhead in a helicopter and dog handlers deployed bloodhounds.
The apparent victim, described as 13 or older - and possibly a small woman - was reported kidnapped Monday night near a recreation center during an argument with a young man who may be between 18 or 20, police said. Sketches of both the girl and the man were released late Tuesday.
"That argument escalated to the point where the male struck the female at least once in the face and then began to drag her up into the brush area by the hair," police Lt. Andy Neiman said.
Witnesses followed and saw the man begin to remove some of the girl's clothing, he said.
Police Chief Charlie Beck said the only evidence officers had found in the search, which was 90 percent complete Tuesday afternoon, were some leggings and tennis shoes.
"My hope is that this was a dispute that was resolved in some way, but we have to treat everything like it's the real deal," Beck said at a news conference.
No reports of a missing girl had been filed, but the witnesses seemed credible, police said.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Vegas police: Boy, 15, murdered over iPad
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Official: College student faked kidnapping due to bad grade