Ohio Murder-Suicide Update: Slain children's mother wanted custody back from grandmother
When Hayes decided it was safe to bring the children back home in recent weeks, 54-year-old Sandy Ford snapped, killing her three young grandchildren and herself with the help of her 32-year-old son, who also died, police said.
Letters left behind indicate that Ford and her son barricaded the garage in their Toledo home and running hoses from the exhaust of his pickup truck into the rear window of a car where all five were found dead, police said.
Investigators hope the results from autopsies being completed Wednesday will give them more answers about what happened. A funeral for the children was set for Monday in Toledo, with visitation this weekend.
The family disagreement over where the children should live erupted in the past week, with police and children service workers being asked to intervene. Both said there was never any indication that the dispute would end in tragedy.
Firefighters found the bodies of 5-year-old Madalyn Hayes, her 6-year-old brother Logan and 10-year-old sister Paige slumped inside a car, along with their grandmother and uncle.
Police said letters inside the house indicate the woman and her son picked up the children from school Monday morning after their mother had dropped them off earlier.
Toledo police Sgt. Joe Heffernan wouldn't say what was in the letters, but it appeared some were written by the children.
Authorities were called to the home by the children's grandfather after he discovered the letters and was unable to force open the garage door. Investigators found no signs that the children were forced into the car and believe all five died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Until last week, the children had spent the past three years living with their grandparents, Sandy and Randy Ford, after Mandy Hayes asked her mom for help because a fourth child was having significant behavior problems, said children's services representatives.
More on Crimesider
November 13, 2012 - Ohio Murder-Suicide: Grandmother behind deaths of five people, police say
November 13, 2012 - Five people dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in apparent murder-suicide, Ohio police say
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly