Gladys Machado, Fla. mom, and 2 daughters found dead in closet of Miami home, police say
(CBS/AP) MIAMI - Police said a 29-year-old Florida mother and her two young daughters were found dead Tuesday afternoon inside a closet of their home near Miami, The Miami Herald reports.
Miami-Dade detective Roy Rutland told the newspaper that a neighbor smelled an odor and went inside the house where she found Gladys Machado in the closet. Next to her were the bodies of her daughters, 4-year-old Daniela Padrino and 8-year-old Julia Padrino, according to the newspaper.
"A neighbor that was in the residence noticed a foul odor that she didn't recognize," Det. Roy Rutland told CBS Miami. "She then went and searched the home. Inside the closet this neighbor found the body of a mother and that mother's two daughters."
Police said Machado's 6-year-old son was safe with his grandmother.
The children's father gathered along with friends and family members outside the home Tuesday as police continued their investigation. Neighbors said Machado lived with a boyfriend who was recently released from jail, according to the Herald.
Police have not released the manner of death. No further details were immediately available.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles