Caleigh Harrison Update: Pants washed up on Mass. beach could belong to missing toddler, police say
(CBS/AP) GLOUCESTER, Mass. - Authorities are investigating whether a pair of toddler pants that washed up on a Massachusetts beach on Friday could have belonged to 2-year-old Caleigh Harrison, who is believed to have drowned last spring.
State police spokesman David Procopio said the pink capris were found on Good Harbor Beach, about a mile south of the Rockport beach where Caleigh Harrison was last seen on April 19 with her mother and sister.
Rockport Police Chief John McCarthy told the Gloucester Daily Times on Monday that the pants, which were torn and entangled in lobster gear, are "very, very similar" to those Caleigh was wearing. McCarthy said the girl's mother, Allison Hammond, has seen the pants but hasn't been able to confirm they were Caleigh's.
Caleigh disappeared after her mother left her children briefly to retrieve a ball that bounced over a wall. Investigators believe Caleigh was swept out to sea.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case