Fla. woman Megan Kimbrough, allegedly set on fire by husband, dies of infection
(CBS/WTSP) LAKELAND, Fla. - A Florida woman who suffered burns on 80 percent of her body after her husband allegedly set her on fire in August died from an infection on Saturday.
Megan Kimbrough, 26, was allegedly burned by Joshua Kimbrough, who faces numerous charges including attempted first-degree murder, CBS affiliate WTSP reports. Detectives say Kimbrough set his wife on fire in their Lakeland home with flammable liquids and then stopped her as she tried to run out of the house to extinguish herself.
The Lakeland Police Department says Kimbrough then went on a crime spree that included a carjacking at a convenience store and a home burglary, WTSP reports.
After the attack, Megan reportedly underwent at least 12 surgeries at Tampa General Hospital, and her family hoped to take her with them to Washington State soon.
On a Facebook page created in honor of Kimbrough, the 26-year-old's cousin, Melissa Lawhorn, wrote, "While this great loss means that she is no longer here with us, it means that she is no longer in pain - and for that, we are thankful."
Detectives are now working with the State Attorney's Office to determine if new charges will be filed against Joshua Kimbrough, WTSP reports.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Official: College student faked kidnapping due to bad grade
- Vegas police: Boy, 15, murdered over iPad