Emilee Irsik Found: Missing Kansas college student located in Germany
(CBS/AP) EMPORIA, Kan. - Missing Kansas college student Emilee Irsik has been found in Germany nearly three weeks after traveling there without telling her friends or family.
The 20-year-old Emporia State University junior was with German authorities when she called her family around noon Thursday. According to CBS affiliate WIBW, Irsik's family is now working with authorities reunite with her.
Her mother, Sherry Irsik, of La Grange, N.C., told The Associated Press she is "thrilled beyond measure" and looking forward to seeing her daughter. She said she didn't speak long with Emilee and had "zero information" about what happened.
According to WIBW, A German newspaper says a British Airways employee recognized Emilee when she tried to buy a plane ticket to the U.S.
Irsik had been studying German at Emporia State. She left Oct. 19 during the school's fall break and landed the next day in Hamburg.
Sherry Irsik told The Wichita Eagle previously that her daughter had applied to three German universities and talked about taking a trip to "get the lay of the land."
Her parents talked her out of it, saying she didn't have time before fall classes began and should use that money for her education.
"Obviously, she decided it was really important to her to do this," Sherry Irsik told the newspaper
Her roommates notified the school when Irsik didn't show up for classes Oct. 22.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released