Iowa teens say adoptive parents kept them in basement, fed them under locked door
The 13-year-old girl and 14-year-old boy told authorities that the imprisonment was a form of discipline, although it is not clear why they were being punished. The Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS) said it removed the teens from the home in Ankeny after one of them told a school employee about their confinement.
The 45-year-old father and 44-year-old mother, who were arrested Wednesday, were also charged with neglect or abandonment of a dependent person. They each posted a $22,000 bond and were released after a few hours.
Police said the children reported being locked in the basement after school and on weekends for three to four weeks.
DHS spokesmsan Roger Munns said the children are being cared for in a safe place but that state law prevents him from discussing any details of the case. Munns would not say if the agency had investigated any previous allegations against the parents.
Neither one of the parents has much of a criminal history. The father was caught speeding in August, according to Iowa court records online.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths