Raulie Casteel ID'd as Mich. roadway shooting suspect, charged with gun crimes
Casteel is accused of last month's shootings that mostly targeted moving vehicles on or near Interstate 96. One person was injured in the attacks.
Casteel was ordered held on a $2 million bail after being charged Wednesday with assault with a dangerous weapon and other gun crimes. The charges stem from the shooting Oct. 18 in Livingston County's Howell Township, about 45 miles northwest of Detroit.
The driver of the targeted car was able to describe the gunman, his vehicle and a partial license plate number from a Michigan State University vanity plate.
Casteel was arrested Monday at his home in Wixom, about 20 miles away from the Oct. 18 incident.
He appeared in court via video from jail on Wednesday. Judge Carol Sue Reader set the high bail, saying there was a "high probability" that Casteel was a threat to the public. The county prosecutor's office said mental illness may have been a factor.
The shootings occurred in four counties - Ingham, Oakland, Livingston and Shiawassee - between Oct. 16 and Oct. 27. The one person hit was a man shot in the buttocks.
On professional websites, Casteel described himself as a geologist and soil scientist with experience in environmental cleanup. He's a Michigan native who lived in Taylorsville, Ky., before recently returning to his home state.
Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe said Casteel's case in Livingston County gives his department and other police agencies time to build their own cases. He predicted more charges soon.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence