Raulie Casteel ID'd as Mich. roadway shooting suspect, charged with gun crimes
Casteel is accused of last month's shootings that mostly targeted moving vehicles on or near Interstate 96. One person was injured in the attacks.
Casteel was ordered held on a $2 million bail after being charged Wednesday with assault with a dangerous weapon and other gun crimes. The charges stem from the shooting Oct. 18 in Livingston County's Howell Township, about 45 miles northwest of Detroit.
The driver of the targeted car was able to describe the gunman, his vehicle and a partial license plate number from a Michigan State University vanity plate.
Casteel was arrested Monday at his home in Wixom, about 20 miles away from the Oct. 18 incident.
He appeared in court via video from jail on Wednesday. Judge Carol Sue Reader set the high bail, saying there was a "high probability" that Casteel was a threat to the public. The county prosecutor's office said mental illness may have been a factor.
The shootings occurred in four counties - Ingham, Oakland, Livingston and Shiawassee - between Oct. 16 and Oct. 27. The one person hit was a man shot in the buttocks.
On professional websites, Casteel described himself as a geologist and soil scientist with experience in environmental cleanup. He's a Michigan native who lived in Taylorsville, Ky., before recently returning to his home state.
Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe said Casteel's case in Livingston County gives his department and other police agencies time to build their own cases. He predicted more charges soon.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home
- N.H. woman get 40 years in prison for child porn