NY dad allegedly drowns son and poisons daughter before trying to commit suicide, report says
(CBS) NEW YORK - Police said a New York father allegedly drowned his 5-year-old son and poisoned his 6-year-old daughter with rat poison before trying to take his own life Wednesday.
The New York Post reports that 47-year-old Leonardo Espinal was distraught over the breakup with his wife when he was staying at his stepmother's house. This is where he was taking care of the children for the day.
Espinal told his estranged wife, Rosaura Abreu, that he would keep the children overnight instead of bringing them home as planned. He then contacted her again an hour later saying he was going to kill himself.
When cops arrived, Espinal was fully clothed in a bathtub filled with water, with his son's body beneath him, the Post reported. The girl survived.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death