Jeff Hall Killing: Boy charged with neo-Nazi dad's death suffered years of abuse, psychologist says
(CBS/AP) RIVERSIDE, Calif. - A defense psychologist testified Monday that the Southern California boy charged with killing his neo-Nazi father when he was 10 years old had a history of being severely abused since he was born.
Psychologist Robert Geffen testified Monday in juvenile court that the boy experienced a head-bashing incident as an infant and was also forced to eat off the floor, beaten with a belt and sexually abused, according to the Riverside Press-Enterprise.
The boy, now 12, is charged with fatally shooting Jeff Hall with a .357 Magnum at point-blank range while he slept in their home. He told police he figured he wouldn't get in trouble because that's what happened on an episode of "Criminal Minds," a television program he had watched.
Before Hall's death, the boy had hurt others, stabbing teachers and kids with a pencil and attempting to choke a teacher when he was 8, Geffen said.
"You could have predicted it," Geffen said in the hearing. "That's what he grew up with, that's what he obviously learned."
The boy pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity. His name was not released because he is a juvenile.
Child Protective Services made contact with the boy or his family 23 times in his lifetime, Geffen said. The boy attended nine or 10 schools within four years.
Though social and mental health workers and school staff received reports about the boy's home life and misbehavior, Geffen said there was "virtually no adequate intervention to remove him from an abusive environment."
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- 10-year-old killed after gunmen shoot into Calif. home
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty