Michigan Roadway Shootings: Suspect arrested in four-county shooting spree, police say
(CBS/AP) WIXOM, Mich. - Authorities said thousands of tips led police to arrest a man Monday in connection to a Michigan shooting spree that targeted moving cars and resulted in at least one injury.
Police took the suspect into custody Monday night in Wixom, the Detroit suburb where the shootings began. A tip from among the 30,000 tips they received led authorities to the man's home.
"Why did he do it? I don't know. I don't know if we'll ever know," said Ingham County Sheriff Gene Wriggelsworth, who called the attacks "domestic terrorism."
A police task force that investigated the four-county spree said in a written statement that the man drove a vehicle that matched the description of the suspect's car provided by a shooting victim. Authorities also seized potential evidence at the man's home.
At least one gun was seized, said Donald Dawkins, Detroit spokesman for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
Local and federal authorities were discussing whether the case should be pursued in state court or federal court. Wriggelsworth said he wanted federal prosecutors to take the case.
The shootings began on Oct. 16 and stretched from Oakland County west to Ingham County. There were 24 reported incidents, mostly cars traveling on roads near Interstate 96 and only a handful of shootings actually occurring on the interstate.
The crime scene spanned about 100 miles and sliced through suburbia, shopping malls and farm pastures. Shootings occurred during the day, at night, on weekdays and on weekends. Police said the shooter would drive along roadways and fire at vehicles traveling in the opposite direction. Only one person was wounded.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin