Dispute over PlayStation leads N.M. boy, 14, to stab his mom, report says
(CBS) SANTA FE - A 14-year-old boy was arrested Saturday for allegedly stabbing his mother in the leg with a kitchen knife after she told him to stop playing PlayStation video games, the Santa Fe New Mexican reports.
Just after noon on Nov. 3, the boy's mother called Santa Fe police. According to a police document, the Santa Fe County dispatch center told the responding officer that the boy "is threatening to kill children, [he] threw a rock at [a] vehicle, somebody was stabbed, and the mother is locked in the vehicle with her young children."
When the police arrived at the house, the mother told them that her son was bipolar and had stabbed her and broken all of the windows of her Dodge Durango with a rock, where she and her four young children sought safety. Her oldest son had previous run-ins with the law, the New Mexican reported.
The boy was arrested a few blocks away from his home on charges of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, criminal damage to property of a household member and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He was arrested and taken to a juvenile detention facility, police said.
The mother was treated for her minor puncture wound at Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical center and several of her children were treated for minor cuts from the shattered car windows, the New Mexican reports.
According to Santa Fe police Sgt. Andrea Dobyns, the boy will be arraigned in district court this week.
"In cases against children," Dobyns said, "nobody wants to put them in jail ... they want to get the child the help that he needs. So district court and juvenile probation will work together to try to make that happen."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Report: Fla. man stops to steal beer during police chase