Fresno Workplace Shooting Update: Three dead, including alleged gunman
(CBS/AP) Fresno, Calif. - Three employees of a chicken processing plant in Fresno, Calif., are dead after one of them, 42-year-old Lawrence Jones, allegedly opened fire at the Valley Protein plant Tuesday morning.
Police say Jones began shooting a few hours into his shift. Officers found him with a gunshot wound to the head and a 32-year-old woman bleeding from a wound to her lower back outside the business.
Three other people were found shot inside the plant, which was formerly known as Apple Valley Farms.
Fresno Police Chief Jim Dyer told reporters that Jones had been an employee at the plant for about 14 months. Dyer also said Jones had a long criminal record. Dyer said that investigators had "secured" Jones' Fresno home and plan to search it.
"Our biggest hope is that there are not other victims," said Dyer at a morning news conference.
Two of the employees allegedly shot by Jones have died, and two more are still hospitalized.
More on Crimesider
Nov. 6, 2012: Fresno Workplace Shooting Update: One victim dead, several others, including gunman, hospitalized
Nov. 6, 2012: Multiple victims reported in workplace shooting in Fresno, Calif.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out