Dean Weeks, Mass. firefighter, accused of booby trapping ex-wife's dryer to explode
According to CBS Boston, Dean Weeks on Thursday pleaded not guilty to charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon in connection to the August blast that left his wife with severe burns on her legs.
The Coulter Press reports that Weeks was arraigned in Worcester Superior Court and released on his own recognizance.
Doreen Weeks says she turned on the dryer after her ex-husband, a veteran Clinton firefighter, texted her and told her to test it, the station reports. She says she heard "tick, tick and then boom."
The explosion that followed reportedly blew her small dog out of the second floor window and left Weeks with burns severe enough that she was taken away in an ambulance.
Weeks says her ex-husband rigged the trap to get rid of her and claim the house for himself, CBS Boston reports. Dean was supposed to fix the broken dryer as part of a divorce settlement reached in August.
Police say Weeks showed up at the scene and tried to threaten his ex-wife into staying silent about the incident, CBS Boston reports. Two men that work with Weeks at his side business also told police he told them to lie if questioned about the explosion, according to police.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out