Fla. restaurant owner allegedly shoots at customer in billing dispute
The incident began when James Phillips and Destin McMahon argued with the manager and owner at Winter Park's Wazzabi Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar.
The customers said they weren't happy with the food and while one paid, the other did not.
"I never expected that I would receive that type of treatment because I complained about a meal - that my life would be put in danger," said Phillips. "They begin harassing us and cussing at us and telling us to leave their restaurant and when we got in the car to leave, they began beating the car and then they shot at the car."
Phillips and McMahon said the owner and workers chased them into the parking lot, beat dents into the car, and then fired two shots at them.
Police arrested the owner, Quoc Trong Tran, on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Another employee, Hoai Trong Tran, was arrested on a charge of criminal mischief.
"My uncle, the owner of that restaurant, was just protecting his property and making sure nobody was just coming in, getting free sushi, complaining about it, walking out," said Randall Tran.
The owner reportedly told police he only opened fire because he thought his customers were trying to run him over.
The customers were not charged with any crime.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen