Michigan roadway shootings prompt local school lockdowns
No one has been hurt, and no shootings have occurred since Thursday. But police on Monday added to their list two more incidents from the small city of Perry, off U.S. 69, stretching the investigation to four counties, Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe said.
Tipsters told police the gunman appears to be a white man in his 30s and authorities on Sunday released a drawing of a possible suspect. While the incidents appear to be random, police are investigating them as a pack and have formed a task force to chase down tips.
The shootings mostly involve cars near Interstate 96, though authorities have said one occurred while a man was taking out his garbage. In another incident, a woman said the rear window on her car was shattered. Ten of the 20 shootings have occurred in Wixom, 35 miles northwest of Detroit.
In the Walled Lake district, officials felt compelled to lock doors at five schools in Wixom and hold recess indoors on a beautiful fall day, though there is no evidence schools are a target. They're not sure how long the policy will be in effect.
"We want all our students and families to feel safe. These are precautionary measures," school spokeswoman Judy Evola said. The shootings were a hot topic on morning drive-time radio shows with listeners calling or texting their plans to avoid I-96 in certain areas.
"You can never be too careful, obviously," McCabe said.
"Until this guy or suspects are found, people need to be aware of their surroundings. There is nothing wrong with taking precautions. We're not going to tell people they're overreacting."
The shootings have occurred in Oakland, Livingston, Ingham and Shiawassee counties, from last Tuesday through Thursday.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths