Breakup fueled fatal Ohio apartment shootings, say police
(CBS) NORTHWOOD, Ohio - Police say the shooting Tuesday night at a northwest Ohio apartment complex that killed three people and wounded three others was fueled by the recent breakup of the gunman and his girlfriend, CBS affiliate WTOL reports.
Jorge Duran II, 24, fatally shot his estranged girlfriend, 26-year-old Amber Jones, and their 3-year-old son, Jorge Duran III, at the Northwood apartment complex, Lake Township Police Chief Mark Hummer said Wednesday.
Police said Duran showed up at Jones' apartment to pick up his son and then fatally shot her. Police said he then took the boy to another complex where Jones' possible new boyfriend lived, and barged in and started shooting, wounding two men and a woman inside and also killing the child.
Police say they then came face-to-face with an armed Duran in the parking lot, and bullets began to fly.
"Obviously we had a very complex crime scene with two different apartments, and then a parking lot exchange between the officers and the suspect. So it was very controlled chaos," Hummer said.
Duran was shot to death during the gunfire exchange, Hummer said. Three people who were wounded in the shootings remain hospitalized with significant injuries. Their names haven't been released.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship