Zumba Prostitution Scandal: Alexis Wright's co-defendant says he broke no laws
(CBS/AP) KENNEBUNK, Maine - An insurance agent who helped dance instructor Alexis Wright launch a Zumba studio that police say was a front for prostitution contends he used bad judgement but committed no crimes.
Mark Strong Sr. issued a statement through his attorney that said he had a personal relationship with Alexis Wright but never paid for sex. He said he co-signed for her lease and loaned the business money that was repaid with interest.
Strong has pleaded not guilty to 59 misdemeanor counts including promoting prostitution and violating the privacy of men who were allegedly videotaped without their knowledge.
"The charges against me are untrue," he said Wednesday in the written statement. "I have made some bad choices but have broken no laws."
Wright has pleaded not guilty to 106 counts of prostitution, invasion of privacy and other charges. Police say Wright kept "meticulous" records and a client list that lawyers involved in the case said includes more than 150 names, including those of prominent figures.
The first 21 names to be released included a former mayor in southern Maine and a high school ice hockey coach who opted not to renew his contract.
Strong said law enforcement officials originally charged him with promoting prostitution and arrested him in July as retaliation because he was looking into possible harassment of Wright by the Kennebunk police department.
The police department said there was no harassment of either Strong or of Wright. Both were investigated because there was probable cause that criminal activity took place at the dance studio, said Lt. Anthony Bean Burpee.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Report: Fla. man stops to steal beer during police chase