Elizabeth Marriott: Police eye second arrest in case of N.H. student, report says
(CBS) DOVER, N.H. - Officials say a second person may be arrested in connection with the case of 19-year-old Elizabeth Marriott, a University of New Hampshire student believed to have been killed a week ago.
Police are investigating claims that Marriott may have suffered a suffocation death during a sexual encounter with 29-year-old Seth Mazzaglia and another woman, CBS Boston reports.
Marriott was last seen on Oct. 9 after attending an evening class in Dover. Mazzaglia was charged Saturday with second-degree murder. He is accused of killing Marriott in his apartment that night.
A law enforcement official who spoke under condition of anonymity on Tuesday said that additional arrests should be expected, the Portsmouth Herald reported.
But Associate Attorney General Jane Young said Wednesday that authorities do not have enough evidence to charge a second person in connection with Marriott's death, according to the Herald.
"We bring a charge when there's evidence," Young said. "What I maintain in this case, is if the evidence brings us to the fact that another person was or other persons were involved then other charges would be brought."
Marriott's body has not been found, but authorities have been searching the waters around Peirce Island in nearby Portsmouth in hopes of finding her.
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home