Dr. Peter Marvit Murder: Surveillance video captures persons of interest in Baltimore researcher's slaying
(CBS/WJZ/AP) BALTIMORE - Police have uncovered surveillance footage of two men running away from the area where a researcher for the National Institute of Health was shot to death last month.
According to CBS Baltimore, the two men are now persons of interest in the slaying of 51-year-old Dr. Peter Marvit near his home.
A police department spokesman says 51-year-old Dr. Peter Marvit was fatally wounded Sept. 17 in what may have been an attempted robbery.
Police say the shooting was reported about 10:30 p.m. in the Herring Run Park area and officers found Marvit outside his car with gunshot wounds to the upper body. He was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Police say Marvit lived about four blocks from where he was shot.
Now police hope the surveillance pictures could crack the case, CBS Baltimore reports.
"Right now, these are persons of interest. We just wanted to get them ID'd. If you have any information on their names, where they live, anything at all, please contact homicide detectives," said Baltimore City Police Detective Jeremy Silbert.
The surveillance footage reportedly came from a security camera mounted on the outside of a nearby home.
NIH spokeswoman Amanda Fine says Marvit was a contractor with clinicaltrials.gov. The NIH service provides information for locating federally and privately supported clinical trials for a wide range of diseases and conditions.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"