Jessica Ridgeway Search: Police say body found in Colorado is difficult to identify
(CBS/AP) WESTMINSTER, Colo. - Colorado police looking for missing 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway, who disappeared on her walk to school, are not saying whether a body found Wednesday is linked to the case. They noted Thursday that officers are still searching for her.
Police spokesman Trevor Materasso said the body "is not intact," and that has slowed the work of identification. Materasso said no other information would be released until Friday.
Police earlier declined to say whether the body was that of a child.
The body was found late Wednesday at Pattridge Park in park in the Denver suburb of Arvada, about seven miles from where Jessica disappeared in the nearby suburb of Westminster on Oct. 5.
In tweets, Westminster police said investigators had worked overnight to identify the body. Officers searched more of the park Thursday as well as areas closer to Jessica's home.
Police have ruled out her parents - Sarah Ridgeway, who lives Colorado, and Jeremiah Bryant, who lives in Missouri. Authorities believe Jessica was kidnapped by an "unknown suspect."
Jessica's mother last saw her daughter walking to school. The girl never arrived, setting off a frantic search by hundreds of law enforcement officials and residents.
The only real clue police have revealed in Jessica's disappearance is the discovery over the weekend of a backpack and water bottle that she had with her when she disappeared. Police won't discuss what was found in the bag or test results on it.
The items were found in the town of Superior, some six miles from her home. The spot where the possessions were found is about 7 miles from the park.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide