Philadelphia Wedding Brawl: N.J. man charged in melee posts bail, will fight charges
(CBS/AP) PHILADELPHIA - A lawyer for a man charged with assaulting police during a post-wedding brawl that broke out at a Philadelphia hotel says his client has posted bail and will fight the charges.
Twenty-six-year-old Westfield, N.J., resident Matthew Sofka had been attending his brother's wedding over the weekend and the family was staying at a Sheraton hotel in the city's Society Hill section where the fight began. Authorities say Sofka assaulted police during the fight and is charged with aggravated assault and other counts.
Defense attorney Fortunato Perri Jr. tells The Philadelphia Inquirer the fight was already under way when Sofka arrived at the hotel and that his client did not assault police.
Perri says the wedding reception was held at a restaurant downtown and the families returned to the hotel afterward. He's not sure how Sofka ended up in the middle of the brawl.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case