Gil Collar Shooting: Naked University of South Alabama student killed by officer
(CBS/AP) MOBILE, Ala. - A police officer on Saturday fatally shot a University of South Alabama freshman Gil Collar, who authorities say was naked and had been banging on a window at police headquarters.
A university spokesman said the 18-year-old was fatally wounded about 1:30 a.m. after an officer heard a bang on a window and went outside to investigate.
A statement issued by university spokesman Keith Ayers said Collar assumed a "fighting stance" and chased an officer before being shot. The officer tried to retreat numerous times to defuse the situation before opening fire, the school said.
Campus officials didn't give any indication that Collar had a weapon when he was shot and his mother says she's been told he never touched the officer who shot him.
"I have been told by someone involved in the investigation that the videotape shows my son never touched the police officer," Bonnie Smith Collar told the Associated Press Monday. She did not elaborate on how the person was involved in the investigation.
The officer was placed on paid leave, and an autopsy will determine if drugs or alcohol were involved.
Campus officials said video of the confrontation, recorded by security cameras, and other information has been turned over to the district attorney and the Mobile County Sheriff's Office, which will review the shooting.
Collar's friends and officials at Wetumpka High School have described him as a popular student who excelled at sports but had a humble personality.
"I ask that everyone withhold their judgment about what did or did not happen until the evidence comes out," his mother said.
A candlelight vigil is scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday at Wetumpka High School. His mother said funeral arrangements have not yet been made yet.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship