Jessica Ridgeway Missing: Backpack found likely belongs to Colorado girl, police say
(CBS/AP) WESTMINSTER, Colo. - Colorado police said a backpack found in the town of Superior is likely linked to 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway, who went missing last Friday, CBS Denver reports.
Westminster police said a homeowner found a water bottle and backpack on a sidewalk about six miles from Jessica's suburban Denver home. She was last seen Friday morning on her way to school. She never met her friends in the park that morning.
Police would not discuss the contents of the bag but said they believe it belongs to the girl. They also say the item has led investigators to expand their search for the girl to the rock creek subdivision of Superior.
Jeffco Schools officials tried to contact Jessica's mother when the girl didn't arrive at Witt Elementary School Friday morning. They left a voicemail at 10 a.m. Jessica's mother, who works an overnight shift and sleeps during the day, didn't get the message until 4:30 p.m. She immediately contacted Westminster police. It took almost five hours before the protocols were met in the case for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation to call an Amber Alert.
Jessica is described as being 4-foot-10, 80 pounds with shoulder-length blonde hair and blue eyes. She was wearing blue jeans with a black puffy jacket with a pink lining, purple eyeglasses and black boots with pom-poms.
Anyone with helpful information is asked to call 303-658-4360.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops