Jessica Ridgeway Missing: Backpack found likely belongs to Colorado girl, police say
(CBS/AP) WESTMINSTER, Colo. - Colorado police said a backpack found in the town of Superior is likely linked to 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway, who went missing last Friday, CBS Denver reports.
Westminster police said a homeowner found a water bottle and backpack on a sidewalk about six miles from Jessica's suburban Denver home. She was last seen Friday morning on her way to school. She never met her friends in the park that morning.
Police would not discuss the contents of the bag but said they believe it belongs to the girl. They also say the item has led investigators to expand their search for the girl to the rock creek subdivision of Superior.
Jeffco Schools officials tried to contact Jessica's mother when the girl didn't arrive at Witt Elementary School Friday morning. They left a voicemail at 10 a.m. Jessica's mother, who works an overnight shift and sleeps during the day, didn't get the message until 4:30 p.m. She immediately contacted Westminster police. It took almost five hours before the protocols were met in the case for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation to call an Amber Alert.
Jessica is described as being 4-foot-10, 80 pounds with shoulder-length blonde hair and blue eyes. She was wearing blue jeans with a black puffy jacket with a pink lining, purple eyeglasses and black boots with pom-poms.
Anyone with helpful information is asked to call 303-658-4360.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Hofstra Univ. student, suspect killed in home invasion
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Wife guilty of murder for pushing husband out window
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call