Michael Jones, New York Red Bulls youth soccer coach, stabbed to death in Manhattan, police say
(CBS) NEW YORK - No arrests have been made as authorities continue to investigate the stabbing death of Michael Jones, a youth soccer coach whose body was found early Sunday morning near New York City's Union Square, CBS New York reports.
Jones, a 25-year-old native of Liverpool, England, was a part-time coach with the New York Red Bulls' youth training program. He lived in West Harrison, in Westchester County.
Emergency responders found him laying in a pool of blood, with a severed left ear and stab wounds to his neck and torso. He was transported to Bellevue Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Authorities said Jones was with his sister and a friend until midnight, when they parted ways. A surveillance video shows Jones and the suspected attacker walking together down 14th street near Union Square where they got into an argument and the suspect attacked.
"We are aware of this tragedy and on behalf of the entire organization, want to send our most heartfelt condolences to Michael's family, friends, and loved ones," the Red Bulls said in a statement. "He was a tremendous individual, a fantastic coach who loved soccer, and a terrific friend for many of us."
The suspect has been described as a Hispanic man between the ages of 25 and 30, with a dark pony-tail.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case