Michael Jones, New York Red Bulls youth soccer coach, stabbed to death in Manhattan, police say
(CBS) NEW YORK - No arrests have been made as authorities continue to investigate the stabbing death of Michael Jones, a youth soccer coach whose body was found early Sunday morning near New York City's Union Square, CBS New York reports.
Jones, a 25-year-old native of Liverpool, England, was a part-time coach with the New York Red Bulls' youth training program. He lived in West Harrison, in Westchester County.
Emergency responders found him laying in a pool of blood, with a severed left ear and stab wounds to his neck and torso. He was transported to Bellevue Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Authorities said Jones was with his sister and a friend until midnight, when they parted ways. A surveillance video shows Jones and the suspected attacker walking together down 14th street near Union Square where they got into an argument and the suspect attacked.
"We are aware of this tragedy and on behalf of the entire organization, want to send our most heartfelt condolences to Michael's family, friends, and loved ones," the Red Bulls said in a statement. "He was a tremendous individual, a fantastic coach who loved soccer, and a terrific friend for many of us."
The suspect has been described as a Hispanic man between the ages of 25 and 30, with a dark pony-tail.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors