Tyler Clementi's parents decide not to sue in Rutgers webcam spy suicide case
(CBS/AP) RIDGEWOOD, N.J - The parents of a Rutgers University student who killed himself after his roommate used a webcam to see him kissing another man have decided not to sue anyone involved in the case.
The attorney for Tyler Clementi's parents tells The Star-Ledger of Newark that Joseph and Jane Clementi are devoting their energies to the foundation that they established in their son's name.
The parents filed court papers preserving their right to sue Rutgers soon after Tyler Clementi's death in 2010. They accused New Jersey's largest university of failing to prevent his death.
His roommate, Dharun Ravi, spent 20 days in jail last year after being convicted of bias intimidation, invasion of privacy and witness tampering. He is appealing.
Tyler Clementi leaped to his death from the George Washington Bridge in September 2011, just days after beginning his freshman year at Rutgers. His death became a touchstone for those fighting to expose the perils of bullying young gay men and women.
Complete coverage of Tyler Clemeti and the Dharun Ravi case on Crimesider
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths