Courtney Speer, Ark. high school teacher, accused of having sex with 17-year-old student
(CBS/AP) BRYANT, Ark. - A former 9th grade English teacher at an Arkansas high school turned herself into police Wednesday morning after being accused of having sex with a 17-year-old student, CBS affiliate KTHV reports.
Pictures: Notorious teacher sex scandals
Courtney Speer, 31, walked into the Bryant Police Department and then appeared in Saline County Circuit Court later that day where she faced several charges of sexual assault in both Bryant and Benton counties. She was later released on bond.
Authorities said that on Monday, Speer resigned from Bryant High School, where she had allegedly had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student. Police said the teen told investigators he and Speer had sex in her car in the school parking lot, and at her home in Benton.
"He told them of four occasions, four encounters he had with her at the Bryant parking lot, high school parking lot in her car," says Sgt. Todd Crowson.
Police said they don't know if more students are involved, but Lt. Kevin Russell said Speer could face additional charges, KTHV reported.
In Arkansas, a felony sexual assault charge can carry a sentence of six to 30 years in prison.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered