Lt. Jonathan Josey, Philadelphia cop caught on video hitting woman in face, will lose his job
(CBS) PHILADELPHIA, - The Philadelphia police officer who was caught on video hitting a woman in the face during the city's Puerto Rican Day festivities will lose his job and could face criminal charges, reports CBS Philly.
Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said Wednesday that Lt. Jonathan Josey will be suspended for 30 days with the intent to dismiss for hitting 39-year-old Aida Guzman and knocking her to the ground on Sunday. He also indicated that Josey, a veteran of the Highway Patrol division, could be charged for the incident.
"Obviously, he could be criminally charged. The DA would have to make that decision."
The video, which was posted on YouTube Sunday and has now been viewed more than 1.3 million times, was brought the department's attention on Monday. On it, Josey is seen handcuffing Guzman after hitting her. She is then led away, her face bleeding, by two other officers. Guzman was charged with disorderly conduct for allegedly throwing a beer bottle, but CBS Philly reports that the District Attorney decided Wednesday to drop those charges.
"I am an older woman. I am 39-years-old. I don't have time to be playing around or throwing water to be disrespecting another person," Guzman told the station through her daughter, who translated.
CBS Philly reports that Ramsey said he agreed with the DA's decision to drop the charges.
"In looking at the video and looking at the charges, clearly there was some discrepancies there. So, I'm not at all surprised in the ... I'm rather pleased that they did decide to drop the charges. I think it's appropriate in this manner," said Ramsey.
More on Crimesider
Oct. 1, 2012: Philly cop caught on video hitting a woman in the face during the Puerto Rican Day Parade
Oct. 1, 2012: Lt. Jonathan Josey identified as officer caught on video hitting parade-going woman in face
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web