Alexandra Kogut Murder: Mourners to gather for slain NY student's funeral while boyfriend due in court
(CBS/AP) BROCKPORT, N.Y. - Clayton Whittemore, the boyfriend accused of beating Alexandra Kogut to death in her dorm room is due in court today while friends and family will gather to attend the funeral of the slain New York college freshman.
Kogut's funeral is scheduled for Thursday in her hometown of New Hartford, where the 18-year-old was captain of her high school's swim team.
Her boyfriend, Whittemore, 21, is accused of her beating death early Saturday at the State University of New York College at Brockport, near Rochester. Kogut's body was found after her mother called campus police concerned because she couldn't reach her.
Whittemore, a Utica College student, pleaded not guilty to a second-degree murder charge. Monroe County prosecutors said a grand jury voted to indict Whittemore late Wednesday, but the office has yet to release details of the formal charges.
Whittemore is scheduled to be in Sweden Town Court on Thursday.
Kogut's family said it's "grateful" for the community support it has received.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case