Alexandra Kogut: Thousands gather at SUNY Brockport campus vigil to remember slain NY college student
(CBS) BROCKPORT, N.Y. - Thousands of SUNY Brockport students gathered at a vigil Monday night for 18-year-old Alexandra Kogut, who was found beaten to death in her dorm room just days before, CBS affiliate WIVB reports.
"It's sad," said junior Amelia Zaengle. "Our teachers talked about it in some of my classes, and we had a silence."
Over three thousand people gathered on the SUNY Brockport campus to remember Kogut, who started her freshman year this fall.
"This was just an extraordinary young woman, passionate about swimming, about her Communications major, her kindness, her warm, caring nature," said John Halstead, university president.
Kogut's body was discovered by campus police after her mother phoned them to check on her welfare.
Police said 21-year-old boyfriend Clayton Whittemore admitted to killing Kogut after he was picked up by state troopers early Saturday morning near Syracuse. Despite his admission to state troopers, Whittemore pleaded not guilty to a murder charge Saturday.
Kogut's funeral will take place in her hometown of New Hartford on Thursday.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"