James Izumizaki, Calif. teacher accused of lewd acts with a minor, dies a week after arrest
(CBS) ALBANY, Calif. - A sixth grade teacher who was arrested last week on suspicion of committing lewd acts with a minor died on Monday night, CBS San Francisco reports.
The Albany Unified School District reports that the Alameda County Sheriff's Department is investigating the death of James Izumizaki, 28, as a possible suicide.
CBS San Francisco reports that Izumizaki, who had been a teacher and coach at Albany Middle School for several years, was arrested at his home on Sept. 26 on suspicion of performing a lewd act with a child under 14. The warrant for his arrest was the result of an investigation into an alleged inappropriate relationship with a former student.
According to police, Izumizaki had been booked into the Santa Rita Jail, but was released on $100,000 bail.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home