Lt. Jonathan Josey identified as officer caught on video hitting parade-going woman in face
(CBS) The Philadelphia police officer caught on video hitting a woman in the face during Sunday's Puerto Rican Day Parade has been identified as Lieutenant Jonathan Josey II of Highway Patrol.
CBS Philly reports that Josey is a 19-year veteran of the force and has been placed on administrative duty while the Philadelphia Police Department investigates the incident.
The video, which was posted on YouTube Sunday, depicts Lt. Josey hitting a woman in the face with enough force to knock her to the ground. He then handcuffs the woman and two other officers take her away, her face bloody. According to the police department, the woman was arrested for disorderly conduct.
The Philadelphia Inquirer in April 2010 that in March of that year Josey fatally shot an alleged armed robber at a city 7-Eleven store. Josey was reportedly off-duty when he walked in on Kenneth DeShields, a veteran who had served in Iraq and had recently gone AWOL, robbing the clerk around 2:30 a.m. The city ruled that Josey was justified in shooting DeShields.
The newspaper also reported than in 2007, the city of Philadelphia paid $7,500 to settle a lawsuit brought by a man who said Josey kicked him, punched him and threw him against a wall while looking for another officer's gun.
The Philadelphia Daily News reports that Josey nominated himself to be a Daily News Sexy Singles award in 2006, listing his best features as "charm and magnetic personality."
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths